11.6.12

bookpost -- Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon Garfield (goodreads)

Just My Type: A Book About FontsJust My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon Garfield
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In this accessible history of development of different typefaces, Garfield tells the stories behind the fonts we all know and many we don't. I worked in my high school print shop and seriously considered taking up an apprenticeship, so I really enjoyed the detailed descriptions of the history of printing and the way that typefaces changed as a result. He conjures up the personalities of font creators, using a technical but accessible vocabulary. And his assessment of the London Olympics font as the worst font ever is, in my opinion, absolutely spot on.

If you are interested in fonts, this is an interesting and fairly detailed, although sometimes frivolous, exploration of the world of typeface design.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment