2.12.11

diigo as textbook



First of all, I have not posted in months because I've been mad busy, with work and family and other projects. I'm back on form and want to blog about some of the stuff that I'm doing.

'emacs and textbooks' bpink_fish13

I haven't taught out of a textbook for years, and I haven't missed it. Sure, I was a little lost when I first arrived at an international school and looked for a literature collection from which to teach, but I've never really looked back, in English nor the other courses I've taught, including history. (I taught a class I called Global Civics a few years ago, and I taught almost exclusively from The World Factbook.)

This year, I'm teaching two IB Diploma classes for which I am not currently using any text at all, including novels: English Language and Literature and Information Technology in a Global Society. (In the past, ITGS teachers bought up GCSE IT books, but we never use them.) I spend about 1/3 of my prep time looking for resources and texts for these courses. I needed a way to quickly amass resources online and make them available to my students, both in class and at home. I started the year making the link lists manually on Moodle, but it was slow and involved too many steps.

I had been using diigo for years for myself, but I had never explored the lists options, always using tags to organize my links. I opened a new account and started making lists for each unit in each class which I then link on the Moodle page; I use it for myself as a place to find things, but I can also share those resources easily with students, parents and colleagues. It works very well.

I've shown off the highlighting features for my students, and a few use it, especially my ITGS students. The next step is also to have students start up their own and share links with the community, but at this point just using it as a resource dump in place of a expensive and quickly out of date text works quite well.

Anyhow, here are my lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment