18.7.11

bookpost: Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned by Wells Tower

This collection of short stories was made for me. I love short stories, and I have a special appreciation for stories of the troubled male psyche.

These are magnificent. Tower is a writer who magically says so much with so few words. I was amazed by the characterization, feeling like I had read a novel instead of ten pages of a story based on my interaction with the characters. The stories present a world where destruction and violence are possible and even likely, and individual men and women need to find their way of coping with it. Tower focuses on the margins, not the mainstream. There are no easy answers here: people are sometimes coping but generally not thriving.

Honestly, this is the best thing I've read this year.

If you want a taste, here's a short animation of one of the stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment