bookpost: The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol. 1: The Pox Party by M.T. Anderson

I took my kids to a local library with a large English section and picked this off the shelf to occupy myself as my kids read and explored. I was quickly hooked. The novel follows the life of a slave who is the subject of an experiment by eccentric philosophers in 1770s Boston. Anderson builds his story through a series of revelations, effectively mirroring the growing awareness of the protagonist. It captures the enthusiasm of the Enlightenment, the disaster of slavery and some of the moral ambiguity of the American Revolution. It's a great read, although the middle section, made up of letters from a soldier, became a little tedious and I longed to return to the voice of Octavian himself. I look forward to checking out the second volume.

Comments